Equatorial Freight Limited has extensive and experience in the domestic and international air transportation of pets. Union Maritime Logistics takes care of every detail to ensure that your pet reaches its destination in a safe and stable condition.
To qualify for shipment, live animals must meet certain requirements depending on whether the proposed flight is domestic or international. Equatorial Freight Limited’s local offices can confirm these requirements.
Pet transport can be done either as a cargo shipment or as baggage with a traveling passenger, subject to certain restrictions. Only dogs and cats not less than eight (8) weeks old can travel in the aircraft hold.
Live animals will be accepted in individual or shared kennels, depending on the species to be transported and the limitation(s) that the aircraft being operated may have.
Below you will find additional information about transporting your pet as cargo
For more information, please contact any of Equatorial Freight Limited’s Offices.
1. Live animals will only be accepted for transport in properly equipped aircraft holds. In the passenger cabin, only guide dogs accompanying a blind person and service dogs for the deaf are accepted along with a medical certificate stating that the deaf person depends entirely on their animal.
2. For the air transport of a pet you must:
- Have all official documents required by countries of origin, transit and destination (see below under “Required Certifications”).
- Have a suitable kennel for the animal.
- Be sure the animal is in suitable condition for air transportation and is in good health.
3. Females with young that have not been weaned will not be accepted for transport.
4. Dogs and cats less than eight weeks (two months) of age will not be accepted.
5. Dogs and cats will be accepted no more than four (4) hours prior to departure a flight.
6. There are restrictions on the transport of females in heat (estrus).
7. Females that are close to giving birth or who have given birth within the last 48 hours will not be accepted.
8. Dogs and cats must be at least eight (8) weeks old and have been weaned for at least five (5) days before the scheduled flight date.
1. Each pet must have a health certificate issued by an official government agency of the country of origin, in addition to any other certificates required by the country of origin as well as transit countries and the destination country for the shipment.
Note: A health certificate is required for transport between countries. It is not required for domestic transport.
2. The person responsible for the animal’s shipment should contact the destination country’s embassy or consulate to obtain information about importing live animals.
Note: Additional information can be found in IATA’s Live Animals Regulations (LAR) and TACT (The Air Cargo Tariff) in Sections 7 and 8.
3. You must complete and sign a “SHIPPER’S CERTIFICATION FOR LIVE ANIMALS” from the IATA form in English.
A. Kennel Requirements (Cargo – Palletizing)
The kennel’s measurements must comport with the size of the animal and must fulfill the following requirements:
(See Figure 14)
• Height: Must allow the animal to stand up with its head erect.
• Length: Must allow the animal to lie down in a stretched out position.
• Width: Must allow the animal to turn around inside the kennel.
Front View Rear View
The front of the kennel must be open from top to bottom, covered with welded or wire mesh. The back and sides must have ventilation openings (2.5 cm in diameter) only in the upper half, to allow for air circulation. A homemade container must follow the same fundamental principles.
3. Food and Water Dishes
All kennels must have separate food and water dishes that are accessible from the outside of the kennel.
4. Feeding and Watering Pets
a. Puppies and kittens who are less than sixteen (16) weeks old and whose transport will take twelve (12) hours or longer must be provided with food and water.
b. Animals older than 16 weeks must be fed at least every 24 hours and given water every 12 hours.
c. The shipper must provide water and feeding instructions in written form for each pet shipment, no matter what itinerary has been chosen for the transport.
B. Suggested Tips for Pet Transport
1. Before traveling, get your pet used to the kennel that it will be traveling in. Be sure that the kennel door closes without any problem.
2. Do not feed your pet solid food during the six (6) hours before the scheduled flight departure time, although a moderate amount of water and a walk are suggested before and after the flight.
3. Do not give your pet any sedatives without the approval of a licensed veterinarian. If you intend to administer a sedative to your pet before a flight, consider having a trial run with the sedative(s) well in advance of the flight to see how your pet reacts.
4. Make the reservation for shipment ahead of time and check the time that your pet must be delivered to the airport for transport, as well as the time that your pet must be picked up at the destination airport.
5. Try to make a reservation with the most direct flight(s) possible and avoid arrival at the final destination on weekends or on holidays on which health and customs services may be unavailable and delivery of your pet may be delayed.
6. Write the name of your pet on a visible part of the kennel. In case the animal is upset at some point during the trip, calling him/her by name will help to calm your pet down.
7. Write your name and address on the outside of your pet’s kennel, as well as the telephone number where you or another person who knows about the shipment may be contacted at any time.
8. If your pet will be traveling as cargo on an international flight, we recommend making a reservation during a weekday when cargo warehouse facilities are available.
1. The following are short-nosed (brachycephalic) breeds of dogs and cats (both purebred and crossbred) that are not accepted for transport because of possible respiratory problems:
• American Staffordshire Terrier
• Boston Terrier
• Boxer (all breeds)
• Bull Mastiff
• Bulldog (all breeds)
• Chow Chow
• Cane Corso
• French Mastiff
• English Straffordshire Bull Terrier
• English Toy Spaniel
• Brussels Griffon
• Japanese Chin
• Lhasa Apso
• Mastiff (all breeds)
• Pit Bull
• Perro de Presa Canario
• Pug (all breeds)
• Shar Pei
• Shih Tzu
• Tibetan Spaniel
• Exotic Shorthair
If your pet is not on the list above and has characteristics of a brachycephalic, you must have a document signed by a licensed veterinarian stating that the animal does not belong to this type of breed.
2. The following are breeds of dogs (both pure and cross) that, given their association with a high risk of harm to themselves or others, are not accepted in the kennels described above, contact one oh Equatorial Freight Limited’s offices for more information.
- American Pit Bull Terrier
- American Staffordshire Terrier
- Staffordshire Bull Terrier
- Bull Terrier
- American Bulldog
- Dogo Argentino
- Brazilian Mastiff
- Neapolitan Mastiff
- Pit Bull Terrier
- English Mastiff
- Perro de Presa Canario
- French Mastiff
Prior to boarding your pet onto a flight, Equatorial Freight Limited’s staff will:
1. Verify that your pet meets the transportation requirements listed above.
2. Weigh your pet and measure the kennel.
3. Issue an air waybill for your pet’s transport.
4. Charge you for the transportation service.
Reservations must include the following information:
a) Bill of Lading number.
b) Number of pieces making up the shipment.
c) Weight and measurements of packages.
d) Species name and quantity of animals.
e) Departure and arrival airports and shipment route.
f) Flight number and dates.
g) Name and telephone number of the consignee.
h) Care and accommodations required for animals, both en route and at the destination.
You should coordinate with the recipient at the destination, and inform them of the flight arrival time, so that your pet can be released from customs within the shortest possible time.
You must pay the value corresponding to the transport of your pet at the point of origin. The value of the associated paperwork can be paid at origin or destination.
Kennels Available for Rental on Domestic Flights within Chile.
Equatorial Freight Limited has kennels available for rental only for domestic flights within Chile. If are interesting in renting a kennel, you should contact the Call Center (phone 600 300 5000), 48 hours before the estimated departure time of the flight on which you would like to transport your pet. The customer must bring a blanket or sheet to cover the floor inside the kennel.
Kennel stock is limited and the availability of a kennel cannot be guaranteed.
Equatorial Freight Limited is an excellent alternative for your timely move.
- Transportation of furniture and personal objects from one airport to another.
- Does not include packing of items to be transported.
- Does not include processing of the required documentation for the transportation of the cargo.
Most countries require that the documentation, indicated below, the certified by the Consulate of the country of origin and destination of the Shipment. Contact the applicable consulate to learn about these requirements.
- It is the responsibility of the shipper to submit a letter from the Consulate of the country of origin, providing information on the Shipment of personal belongings depending on existing regulations, some of these personal belongings may be exempt from taxes, with the support of this documentation.
- You must submit a detailed listing of all the belongings to be transported.
- Payment must be made at origin, in cash or check.
- Containers are not accepted for Shipment
For more information, please contact our Call Center.
You can easily and efficiently send Parcels of the following items to different cities around the world.
- Luggage: Includes shipment of personal effects to other cities and transportation of excess baggage.
- Electronics: Computers, televisions, and digital cameras, among others.
- Telephone: Digital telephones, cell phones, and accessories.
- Vehicles: Spare parts for motorcycles, automobiles, among others.
- Others: Books, CDs, and other items.